You would never think of putting potatoes on tacos but we did. And let us tell you, it is absolutely delicious! It's potato tacos with black bean and corn relish and on the most delicious homemade salsas you will ever taste. And the three go wonderfully together. This is a great meal for having friends over, for the family, for any occasion really. Pair it with a margarita and you are on track for an awesome evening!
Potato Tacos with Homemade Salsa [Vegan]
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 4 tomatillos
- 3 shallots
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least two hours to overnight
- Two cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, maybe a bit extra
- 20 dried chile de arbol, stemmed seeded and place in bowl with hot water poured over
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 can drained and rinsed black beans
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 4 radishes sliced thin
- Other half of lime, juiced
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- 1 red pepper
- A handful chopped cilantro
- 4 russet potatoes boiled skin on for 12 minutes, drained and peeled and broken apart with hands
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- Salt and pepper
- Broil the tomatoes, tomatillos, and peeled shallots. Cut them all in half and spray them with coconut oil spray, broil for 5 minutes, check on them; if the outer skin of the tomatoes are blackened, they are good; if they aren't broil for 2-5 more minutes.
- When they are out of the broiler and cool enough to handle, remove skins and puree with other ingredients, using only a few tablespoons of the water from the chilies.
- Add a bit of water if the mixture is too thick - it should be creamy and pour-able.
- Place oil in a small sauce pan, heat over high until shimmering, cook potatoes in small batches until golden and crispy. Place on a plate with a paper towel, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Warm tortillas of choice, and top with potatoes, relish, and special sauce.
- The nutritional yeast adds a bit of "cheese" taste to the sauce.