These Portobello stacks are served on a bed of arugula and topped them with a tomato salad and balsamic glaze. The sweetness from the balsamic glaze pairs perfectly with the bitterness of the arugula – we are getting hunger just thinking about it.
Portobello Eggplant Stacks [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Stacks:
- 6 Portobello mushroom caps
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 6 rounds
- 2 small yellow squash, sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, halved
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Glaze:
- 1/4 balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
To Make Stacks:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Roast the bell peppers for 20-25 minutes.
- When bell peppers are done roasting, slice them lengthwise and set them aside.
- While peppers are roasting, brush the other vegetables with one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Grill eggplants, squash, and mushrooms for about 5-6 minutes per side.
- When you flip your eggplant, make sure to add your cheese during the last minutes of grilling.
- While vegetables are grilling, toss the arugula, sherry vinegar one teaspoon oil and salt and pepper until everything is fully incorporated. Set this aside.
- Add some arugula to the bottom of the serving dish and begin assembling your stacks.
- Use the eggplant as a base and then add the cheese, squash, bell pepper, mushroom, tomatoes, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze to finish the whole thing off.
To Make the Glaze:
- Mix the ingredients in a saucepan over medium and stir them until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring this to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.