Chana masala is one of the healthiest Indian dishes you can make. Because of the entree's heavy use of chickpeas, it is a nutritional powerhouse, packed with fiber, protein, and potassium. This recipe takes traditional masala and puts a twist on it by adding mushrooms and peanut butter. Yum!
Portobello Chana Masala [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons red curry powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups sliced portobello mushrooms
- 3 cups cooked, drained chickpeas
- 1 15-ounce can of diced, no-salt-added tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine the oil and spices in a large saucepan or cooking pot. Let the spices bloom over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium and add the onion. Cook the onion for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add roughly 1/4 cup water to deglaze the pan.
- Add the pepper and cook 5 minutes, stirring often. Add another 1/4 cup water to deglaze.
- Add the garlic and portobellos. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, peanut butter, and salt. Stir to combine well. Cover, turn the heat to low and let everything heat through for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.