Chana masala is one of the healthiest Indian dishes you can make. Because of the entree's heavy use of chickpeas, it is a nutritional powerhouse, packed with fiber, protein, and potassium. This recipe takes traditional masala and puts a twist on it by adding mushrooms and peanut butter. Yum!
Portobello Chana Masala [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Portobello Chana Masala [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons red curry powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups sliced portobello mushrooms
- 3 cups cooked, drained chickpeas
- 1 15-ounce can of diced, no-salt-added tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
How to Prepare Portobello Chana Masala [Vegan]
- Combine the oil and spices in a large saucepan or cooking pot. Let the spices bloom over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium and add the onion. Cook the onion for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add roughly 1/4 cup water to deglaze the pan.
- Add the pepper and cook 5 minutes, stirring often. Add another 1/4 cup water to deglaze.
- Add the garlic and portobellos. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, peanut butter, and salt. Stir to combine well. Cover, turn the heat to low and let everything heat through for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 1423 | Total Carbs: 145 g | Total Fat: 82 g | Total Protein: 42 g | Total Sodium: 1186 g | Total Sugar: 20 g Per Serving: Calories: 237 | Carbs: 24 g | Fat: 14 g | Protein: 7 g | Sodium: 198 mg | Sugar: 3 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.