This piña colada nice cream is smooth, completely plant-based, gluten-free, and healthy! The rum is totally optional, but who can say no to a slightly boozy ice cream? The tropical coconut and pineapple combo will make you feel like you're at some fancy beach club or an exotic paradise even if really you're just on your couch.
Piña Colada Coconut Nice Cream [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 3 bananas, chopped and frozen
- 3/4 cup fresh pineapple
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white rum (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder (for grain-free)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons light agave syrup
- Shredded coconut or coconut flakes
- Scoop out the thick white cream from the can of coconut milk and put in your food processor with the rest of the ingredients. Process and stop a few times and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Taste and adjust the sweetness if needed.
- Pour the mixture into an airtight shallow container and refrigerate for about 3-4 hours. The ice cream base needs to be very cold before churning.
- Once very cold, churn the ice cream according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer the ice cream to the same container, cover the surface with plastic wrap, close, and freeze until solid.
- Homemade ice creams tend to be rock solid when frozen but do not panic, if you let it thaw at room temperature for 10-15 minutes (or more, if needed) it will become creamy and scoopable again.
- Scoop the ice cream and serve with shredded coconut, toasted coconut flakes, or your favorite toppings.