This recipe uses tofu as the filling: it provides not only a smooth texture but also lots of plant-based protein. Of course, peanut butter is the star of the show — giving flavor to the filling and helping to bind together the crust. You may ask: why is the tart pink? Beet juice! It is entirely optional; the tart should naturally have a tan (peanut butter) color. You can just omit it since the volume used doesn’t affect the taste or texture of the tart. But why not surprise your friends with some ‘pink’ peanut butter?
Peanut Butter Tofu Pie [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1/4 cups desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
For the Filling:
- 12 ounces firm / extra-firm tofu
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk
- a splash of beet juice
- In a food processor, blend all the crust ingredients into a slightly sticky mixture.
- Transfer the crust mixture to a tart pan and press firmly into the edges.
- Add the peanut butter, tofu, and maple syrup to the food processor.
- Blend while gradually adding in milk (and desired amount of beet juice) until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the filling into the crust and let set in the fridge for 2+ hours before serving.