Parents around the world know that comfort food soothes the soul. This cheesy, flavorful tortilla pie will do just that.
Oil-Free Tortilla Pie [Vegan]
For the Tortilla Pie:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup millet
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large poblano pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 12-ounce package frozen corn
- 1/4 cup tomato purée
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 package whole grain tortillas
- 1 15-ounce can fat-free vegan refried beans
- 1 15-ounce jar salsa verde
- 1 recipe cheese sauce (recipe below)
- Chopped scallions, for garnish
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced Russet potatoes (about 1 medium potato)
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
To Make the Tortilla Pie:
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat in a large saucepan and add the millet. Return the water to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the millet is very tender.
- While the millet cooks, sauté the onion and poblano pepper over medium heat in a large saucepan until the onion turns translucent and starts to brown, about 8 minutes. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep the vegetables from sticking. Add the garlic, cumin, basil, and oregano, and cook another minute.
- Add the corn and tomato puree and remove the pan from the heat. Add the cooked millet, season with sea salt and black pepper to taste, and let cool.
- When the millet is cool enough to handle, use a spatula to crumble it.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place a layer of tortillas in the bottom of a 10-inch pie pan. Spread 1/2 cup refried beans over the tortillas and 1/2 cup salsa verde over the refried beans.
- Sprinkle a third of the millet mixture over the salsa verde, and spoon a quarter of the cheese sauce over the millet mixture.
- Add another layer of tortillas, 1/2 cup refried beans, 1/2 cup salsa verde, and another third of the millet mixture. Top the millet again with another quarter of the cheese sauce.
- Repeat the process one more time with the tortillas, refried beans, salsa verde, millet mixture, and cheese sauce; add a final layer of tortillas; and then top with the remaining cheese sauce.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the top is lightly browned. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve garnished with the scallions and cilantro.
To Make the Cheese Sauce:
- Combine the potato, bell pepper, onion, and cashews in a small saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium, and cook until the potatoes are very tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the vegetables, reserving 3/4 cup of the cooking water.
- Combine the potato mixture, reserved cooking water, tahini, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, arrowroot powder, and sea salt in a blender. Process on high until everything is smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Store the sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Cheesy Recipes
- Potato Recipes
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile