The perfect accompaniment to a salad or soup, this nut and seed loaf is packed with good-for-you ingredients and savory flavor. This lentil-based loaf has sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots, and vegan cheddar, and is studded with crunchy walnuts and sunflower seeds. Keep it in your freezer and enjoy slices throughout the week as a snack or an add-on to meals.
Nut-and-Seed Loaf [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Nut-and-Seed Loaf [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup French lentils
- 3 flaxseed eggs (1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds, plus 3 tablespoons of water per egg)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, reconstituted, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup shelled raw walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup vegan cheddar shreds
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds (optional)
How to Prepare Nut-and-Seed Loaf [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line a loaf pan with foil or a thin layer of oil to prevent sticking.
- In a medium pot, combine lentils and 1 1/2 cups water. Cover pot and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until lentils are cooked. Drain any remaining water and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the flaxseed meal with 9 tablespoons of water and stir to remove lumps. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil. Stir in garlic, onion, red pepper, carrot, celery, mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes. Sauté for about 2 minutes. Stir in cumin, oregano, and cayenne and cook another 3-5 minutes, or until vegetables are softened. Turn off heat. Stir in lentils, chickpea flour, flaxseeds, walnuts, and vegan cheddar shreds. Stir in flaxseed eggs.
- Transfer to a loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool for a few minutes in the pan. Then turn out onto a baking rack to continue cooling.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.