The perfect accompaniment to a salad or soup, this nut and seed loaf is packed with good-for-you ingredients and savory flavor. This lentil-based loaf has sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots, and vegan cheddar, and is studded with crunchy walnuts and sunflower seeds. Keep it in your freezer and enjoy slices throughout the week as a snack or an add-on to meals.
Nut-and-Seed Loaf [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup French lentils
- 3 flaxseed eggs (1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds, plus 3 tablespoons of water per egg)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, reconstituted, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup shelled raw walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup vegan cheddar shreds
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line a loaf pan with foil or a thin layer of oil to prevent sticking.
- In a medium pot, combine lentils and 1 1/2 cups water. Cover pot and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until lentils are cooked. Drain any remaining water and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the flaxseed meal with 9 tablespoons of water and stir to remove lumps. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil. Stir in garlic, onion, red pepper, carrot, celery, mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes. Sauté for about 2 minutes. Stir in cumin, oregano, and cayenne and cook another 3-5 minutes, or until vegetables are softened. Turn off heat. Stir in lentils, chickpea flour, flaxseeds, walnuts, and vegan cheddar shreds. Stir in flaxseed eggs.
- Transfer to a loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool for a few minutes in the pan. Then turn out onto a baking rack to continue cooling.