These are the no-bake lemon squares of your dreams. The crust is easy-peasy and all ingredients are edible without baking. The dates and coconut oil hold it together perfectly. The best part about it is it doesn't need to be left overnight...only a few hours to set. Who doesn't love a "set it and forget it" dessert?
No-Bake Lemon Squares [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 4 medjool dates, pitted
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons agar agar flakes
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- Lemon zest from 2 lemons (plus more for garnish)
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- Place parchment paper in a 9x9-inch square dish. Add water and agar agar flakes in a medium saucepan, let sit for 15 minutes (no heat yet).
- Meanwhile, make the crust: combine all ingredients in a food processor and mix until combined. Press crust mixture into the dish on top of parchment paper in a single layer on the bottom and refrigerate.
- Prep the lemons by setting aside the zest and separately, the juice. Add the arrowroot powder to the juice and stir, set aside.
- Return to the saucepan after 15 minutes and heat over medium heat bringing the mixture to a boil for approximately 10 minutes, whisk the agar and water as it heats.
- Add sweetener and turmeric, then lower heat a bit. Add lemon juice with arrowroot and zest, keep mixing. You should see it getting thicker and thicker, keep whisking for 5 minutes. Add the milk, stir in until incorporated.
- Turn the heat off, and let it sit for approx. 20 minutes to cool. After, pour the mixture over the chilled crust and place everything back in the refrigerator for at least 4+ hours to set until the top has turned into a jello-like consistency and jiggles.