Making a flatbread and pizza from scratch may seem like a daunting task, but this recipe proves it doesn't have to be! This yeast-free and gluten-free flatbread crust comes together very easily and then is topped with cashew cream cheese, mushrooms, arugula. Enjoy the flatbread as the recipe dictates, with lemon juice, tahini, and soy sauce, or get creative with your own garnishes.
Mushroom and Cream Cheese Flatbread [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Dough:
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 13.5-ounce cans of coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons Aleppo pepper
- 2 tablespoons herbs de Provence
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
For the Toppings:
- 1/4 cup cashew cream cheese
- 2 handfuls of chestnut mushrooms
- 2 handfuls of arugula
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- Juice from 1/2 of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons water
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 392°F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients for the dough together in a large bowl.
- Add the coconut milk, mix well, and start kneading your dough until it becomes smooth. Add more flour if necessary.
- Form the dough into two balls, using a rolling pin, roll each of them into a thin crust.
- Transfer the crusts into the oven and bake for eight minutes. Flip over and bake for another two.
- While the flatbreads are in the oven prepare the cashew cream cheese.Quick soak the cashews by pouring boiling water over them and leaving them to sit for about 15-30 minutes.Put all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until a smooth cream forms.
- Next, heat the coconut oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Cut the mushrooms in slices and add to the skillet together with the soy sauce. Sautée until tender.
- Then mix the tahini with the lemon juice, water, and salt. Add more water or tahini to achieve your preferred consistency.
- Once the flatbreads are out of the oven, spread the cream cheese on top, followed by the arugula, then the mushrooms. and finally, drizzle the tahini sauce on top. Serve.