There are a few things you need to know about this moussaka. One, it's labor-intensive and your kitchen will be a mess. (You've been warned.) But don't let that stop you because the second thing you need to know is that it's really good! Especially the cashew cream topping.
Moussaka With Cashew Cream [Vegan]
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 5 medium red potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- Tomato sauce (below)
- Cashew cream (below)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, julienned
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 pound soft tofu
- 1 teaspoon whole-wheat flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Cut eggplant lengthwise into slices about 1/4-inch thick. Sprinkle with a little salt and set aside in a colander for 15 minutes. Pat dry to remove excess moisture.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, turning the slices once. Set aside to cool.
- Bring some water to boil in a large pot with a generous pinch of salt. Peel the potatoes and cut them lengthwise into slices about half an inch thick. When the water is boiling, add the slices and reduce heat to a simmer. Parboil the potatoes for about five minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the garlic and onion for a few minutes, until tender. Add the wine and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes,* herbs (oregano, thyme, bay leaf), the cinnamon and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse the raw cashews until very fine.
- If you have a large food processor, add all other ingredients for the cashew cream and process until smooth (lemon juice, olive oil, maple syrup, drained tofu, garlic clove, whole-wheat flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg).
- Use a food processor or hand blender to combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl: Ground cashew, lemon juice, olive oil, maple syrup, drained tofu, garlic clove, whole-wheat flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a rectangular baking dish, put together the ingredients in this order: thin layer of tomato sauce, layer of eggplant, layer of potatoes, layer of tomato sauce, 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, layer of eggplant, layer of potatoes, layer of tomato sauce, 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, all of the cashew cream.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, until the top has become golden.