The words potatoes salad don't seem to generate a lot of excitement but that being said – this Morrocan sweet potato salad is making our hearts race. The tender chunks of sweet potato are covered in roasted pistachios, chopped cucumbers, fresh tomatoes, a pinch of fresh mint, and then finished with a creamy cashew dressing that has the lemony perfume of Moroccan spices which make this salad truly unique.
Moroccan Sweet Potato Salad [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Salad:
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- Sea salt
- 1/3 cup pistachios
- 1 1/4 cups cucumber, diced
- 1 cups Roma tomato, cubed
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup dates, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup roasted cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 7 1/2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (about 1 very large lemon)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 1/4 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch of pepper
- Cut the potatoes into large chunks and place them in a large pot of generously salted water. Bring this to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium/high so that the pot retains a steady boil and cook the potatoes until they're are fork tender, about 20-25 minutes. Drain them and let them sit until they're cool enough to handle.
- Heat your oven to 375°F and bake the pistachios until they are golden brown and "nutty" smelling, about 10-12 minutes.
- Roughly chop and set aside the nuts.
- Drain the water from the soaking cashews and place them into a high-powered blender.
- Add in all the remaining "dressing" ingredients and blend them until they're smooth and creamy – stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Peel the skin from the potatoes and chop them into 3/4-inch cubes, placing them into a large bowl.
- Add the cucumber, tomato, cilantro, dates, mint and chopped pistachios.
- Pour all the dressing over the salad and mix until evenly coated.
- Cover and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour so the flavors develop.
- Season it to taste with salt before serving.
- Sweet Potato
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 260 | Carbs: 41 g | Fat: 9 g | Protein: 5 g | Sodium: 359 mg | Sugar: 17 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile