One of my favorite nut butters is pecan butter. OMG it is almost caramel flavored (which is why I often times use it in my raw caramel). Amazing stuff, and so silky. So I knew when it was time for me to make nut butter cups it had to be with that, because it sounded so good. I didn't stop there though, I mixed it with a little chocolate, coffee and crunchy pecans for a sinfully decadent combination.
Mocha Crunch Pecan Butter Cups [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Chocolate:
- 1/2 cup raw cacao butter or raw coconut oil, warmed to liquid
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup organic maple syrup or raw coconut nectar
- A pinch sea salt
For the Filling:
- 2/3 cup raw pecan butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup or raw coconut nectar
- 2 teaspoons ground espresso powder
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped raw pecans
- To make the chocolate, whisk all ingredients together until smooth, and set aside.
- Lay out 12 peanut butter cup tins (not the mini ones, the larger candy size) or molds on a flat cutting board or tray, and fill them about 1/3 full with the chocolate. Place them in the freezer to set about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the filling ingredients until well blended. Once set, spoon about 1 heaping tsp of filling mixture onto each, but not so much that it oozes to the sides (you want to be able to cover it with more chocolate and not have it stick out the top). Spoon chocolate over each mound of nut butter enough to cover and fill to the top of the tins. Place in the freezer to set for about 15-20 minutes to set.