These tasty burgers are filled with goodness — three different types of beans, lots of veggies, and heart-healthy oats. These are best served with crispy fries and all the trimmings. They also freeze beautifully, so you can double the recipe and defrost some for easy, yet hearty dinners later in the week.
Mixed Bean and Bell Pepper Burger [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Mixed Bean and Bell Pepper Burger [Vegan]
- 4-6 burger buns
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 of a small jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed and water completely squeezed out or wilt 1-2 cups of fresh spinach, then chop and squeeze all of the excess water. Measure out 1/2 cup and use)
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup white beans, drained
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/2-3/4 cup rolled oats
- 2-3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (adjust as per taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon egg replacer whisked with 3 tablespoons of water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Mixed Bean and Bell Pepper Burger [Vegan]
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a sauté pan, add the onions, garlic, jalapeño, red pepper, and spinach. Sauté until onions are translucent and the vegetables are crisp-tender. Finally, add the chopped walnuts and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove and cool.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the beans leaving a few whole for texture. Add the cooled vegetables, 1/2 cup of oats, bread crumbs, and all of the dry spices. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add the egg replacer and bring the mixture together to form 4-6 patties. Add more oats if the mixture looks too wet. Place them on a baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or freeze them for later use.
- When ready to make burgers, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a sauté pan, gently place the burgers and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, or until crispy on top and cooked through.
- Serve immediately over burger buns with all your favorite toppings.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.