These millet meatballs make such a healthy and satisfying meal. Millet is a gluten-free grain with a ton of health benefits. For starters, it is packed with iron, calcium, vitamins, and protein! Plus, it's really versatile, so you can use it in both sweet and savory dishes. These millet meatballs have a nice, crisp outside, but are super soft on the inside. They are paired with a delicious carrot and onion sauce that you can use on veggies, tofu, or anything else you'd like. Millet meatballs are delicious on their own, but would also be great with spaghetti or in a sandwich!
Millet Meatballs With Carrot and Onion Sauce [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Millet Meatballs With Carrot and Onion Sauce [Vegan]
For the Millet Meatballs:
- 5.3 ounces of millet
- 2 cups of water
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 red pepper
- 1/3 cup of hydrated kombu seaweed
- 1.75 ounces of breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup flour
- cooking oil
For the Sauce:
- 5 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
How to Prepare Millet Meatballs With Carrot and Onion Sauce [Vegan]
For the Millet Burgers:
- Soak the bread crumbs in a little water. Soak the seaweed for half an hour.
- Wash the millet well in a colander. Put it in a pan with water, a little salt, and a bit of oil.
- Bring the water to a boil, lower the heat to low, and cover the pan with the lid. Cook the millet for 15 minutes, turn off the heat and let it rest 5 more minutes.
- Chop the carrot, onion and pepper into small pieces. Drain the seaweed and blend them in the blender until they are in small pieces.
- Heat a pan with a little oil and fry the onion. When it starts to become transparent, add the seaweed, carrot, and pepper, as well as a little salt, pepper, and turmeric. Cook the sauce until the vegetables are soft.
- In a bowl, mix the millet, the fried vegetables and the crumbs of drained bread until all the ingredients are well integrated and a homogeneous dough forms.
- Take portions of dough and form the medium sized balls. Put them in the flour and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 356ºF or fry them in a pan with hot oil until they are golden brown.
For the Sauce:
- Cut the carrot and onion into dice, cut the garlic into slices.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and poach the onion and garlic.
- Add the carrot and cook several more minutes over medium heat.
- Add the wine, salt, pepper and rosemary and cook until the carrot is completely soft.
- Add the flour and stir quickly so that lumps do not form.
- Little by little, add the water while stirring until the desired texture is obtained.
- Mix the sauce in the blender until it is creamy and homogeneous.
- Add the miso paste and stir.
- Serve with the millet meatballs
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.