This Mexican white sweet potato salad is a nutritious take on summer's favorite picnic side. Just imagine yourself someone that you think is really cool sitting under a shady tree, basking in the warmth around you. Now, add a potato salad that has bites of tender sweet potato that burst with spicy cumin, smoky, charred corn, crunchy red peppers, and then mishmash all together with spicy avocado dressing.Is that not just the tastiest and most happy life picture that your brain could be thinking about right now?! Delish!
Mexican White Sweet Potato Salad With Avocado Dressing [Vegan]
- 3 large white sweet potatoes, halved (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/3 cups corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup onion, diced (about 1 large onion)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup red bell pepper, minced (about 1 large pepper)
- 1 cup mashed avocado
- Chipotle sauce, to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon or lime
- Olive oil, to thin
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of generously salted water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-high to keep the water at a rolling boil and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 25-30 minutes. Drain the tender potatoes and let cool until you are able the handle them.
- While the potatoes cook, heat dry grill pan on medium-high heat. Combine the corn, onion, and cumin in a medium bowl and add into the pre-heated grill pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion and corn are nice and charred, about 10 minutes. Once cooked, transfer to a small bowl until ready to use.
- Once the potatoes are cool, peel away the skin and chop them into 1/2-inch or 3/4-inch cubes. Place the cubed potatoes into a large bowl and drizzle with the vinegar. Mix well to evenly coat the potatoes.
- Make the avocado dressing by combining the avocado with lemon or lime juice and olive oil, chipotle sauce, salt, and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth, then add water to reach desired consistency.
- Add the charred corn and onion mixture, along with the minced red pepper, avocado dressing, cilantro, salt, and pepper into the bowl and toss until creamy and evenly coated.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.