Marinated eggplant is a classic Greek dish popular for sharing. It has a surprisingly creamy texture and a deep yet tangy flavor. We wanted an easy recipe that would keep the eggplant in the spotlight, with a complementary, brightly flavored marinade.
Marinated Eggplant with Capers and Mint [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 pounds Italian eggplant, sliced into 1inch thick rounds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- Spread eggplant on paper towel–lined baking sheet, sprinkle each side with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Adjust oven rack 4 inches from broiler element and heat broiler. Pat eggplant thoroughly dry with paper towels, arrange on aluminum foil–lined rimmed baking sheet in single layer, and lightly brush both sides with 1 tablespoon oil. Broil eggplant until mahogany brown and lightly charred, 6 to 8 minutes per side.
- Whisk remaining 3 tablespoons oil, vinegar, capers, garlic, lemon zest, oregano, and pepper together in large bowl. Add eggplant and mint and gently toss to combine.
- Let eggplant cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Season with pepper to taste, and serve.
Marinated eggplant can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.