This tasty breakfast is the perfect marriage between a pancake and a crêpe – whole and hearty like a pancake, but still soft and thin for all of your favorite fillings.
Maple Buckwheat Crepes With Spiced Apple Chestnut Relish [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 1/2 cups nut milk
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil, plus extra for the pan
- 3/4 cup roasted chestnuts, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 small organic apples, roughly chopped (cortland, empire or lobo work well)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, nutmeg + cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- Water, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Using a sharp or serrated knife, make an incision through each chestnut shell, just into the flesh of the nut, and work your way around half its circumference. Make an incision the same length but in the opposite direction to make an X. Repeat for all nuts.
- Place on a rimmed baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the outer shell starts to peel away from the center of the X. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. While the chestnuts are still warm, remove and discard each shell and the papery skin with a small knife or just your fingers. Roughly chop the nuts and set aside.
- Cut the apples into small cubes. Place apples in a small saucepan with 1/4 cup of water and add the spices. Bring to a simmer and cook down until the apples are soft and tender and starting to fall apart, add more water if need. Stir in chestnuts and golden raisins to warm through, then remove from heat and stir in apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Place all crêpe ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and brush with a little coconut oil. Pour in about 1/4 cup of crêpe batter and swirl to evenly distribute. Cook for 45 seconds to a minute or until the batter bubbles and is just set in the middle, then run a spatula around the edges and flip, cooking on the other side for 30 seconds to a minute or until golden brown. Serve immediately or place on a baking sheet in a warm oven until ready to serve. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve crêpes with warm apple relish, a few fresh apple slices and a good drizzle of maple syrup.