These tarts are creamy, zesty, and packed with a nuanced bouquet of flavors and aromas. They have a simple, nutty crust that is filled with a luxurious lemon and thyme cream and then finished off with fresh lemons zest as a garnish. These will go over great at a party but be warned – they may disappear before you have a chance to indulge.
Luxurious Lemon and Thyme Cream Tartlets [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 3/4 cup raw almonds, blitzed in a food processor
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- A pinch of sea salt
For the Filling:
- 1 1/4 cups almond milk, 1/4 kept aside
- 4 teaspoons arrowroot powder, mixed well with the 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2-4 tablespoons rice malt syrup (depending on taste)
- 2-3 drops lemon essential oil
- 2-3 drops thyme essential oil
- Lemon zest (for garnish)
- Fresh thyme (for garnish)
For the Crust:
- Place the raw almonds into a food processor and process them for about 6 seconds
- Add the almond meal to the processor and blend it again until everything is combined.
- Add the dates (ensure they're pitted), salt, and lemon zest and blend them until they're a big sticky ball.
- Using a muffin tray, cut out six strips of baking paper, and lay this into the muffin molds. This is to make it easy to remove the cups once they're set.
- Place equal amounts of the base mixture into each mold, and using your fingers, press evenly to create a tart base.
- Once all the bases are made, place the muffin tray into the freezer to set.
To Make the Filling:
- Heat 1 cup of almond milk in a small sauce pot on a medium heat.
- Remove it once it's warm and add the rice malt syrup and use a whisk to stir it in. In a separate small little bowl, add the 1/4 almond milk and arrowroot powder and mix them well ensuring there are no lumps.
- Whisk this mixture into the warmed almond milk and return it to a medium heat, continually stirring to ensure no lumps form.
- Add the thyme and lemon essential oils and continue to stir. Eventually, the mixture will begin to thicken up. You don't want to overheat it though, as this causes the arrowroot powder to loose its thickening abilities.
- Once the mixture is thickened (about 3-5mins), remove it from the heat.
- Remove the crusts from the freezer and carefully lift each one out of the tray.
- Evenly pour the filling into each tart mold, and gently garnish it with fresh thyme and lemon zest.
- Place them into the refrigerator to set overnight.