Limoncello, it's sunshine in a bottle. Try it in this vegan, gluten-free, and sugar-free Limoncello Drizzle Cake.
Limoncello Drizzle Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 tbsp powdered stevia
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 6 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- The juice of a small lemon and the zest of three
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp polenta
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup warm water
- A few tablespoons of limoncello and soya or coconut cream to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC (400ºF). Line or grease a round 20cm (8″) springform cake tin.
- Cream the butter and stevia till light and fluffy in a large mixing bowl. Add the flax eggs, vanilla essence, lemon juice and zest. Incorporate the warm water and remaining dry ingredients a little at a time to combine them more easily; the batter should be even and somewhat thick, but not lumpy or tough to handle.
- Pour into the lined/greased cake tin. Smooth out the top so it’s even. Lower the temperature to 180ºC (350ºF) and bake for 40 minutes; the edge of the cake should come away from the tin and be golden.
- Cool on a wire rack. Release the cake from its tin and carefully place it on a tray/plate/stand. (I do this by flipping the cake upside down onto a plate, then flipping it again onto the desired platform of presentation.) Drizzle over as much limoncello as you like without drowning the cake and serve each slice with a generous glug of cream.