One thing I always have in the pantry are lentils. Lentils are cost effective, easily stored and very versatile. Nutrition-wise, they are low in calories, have a great amino acid profile (like meat), are high in fiber and high in protein. There is definitely a reason why many vegetarians and vegans frequently eat lentils! If this turns into your weekly taco night, or crunch and texture isn't important to you, go for the nutrition and choose a different lettuce. Otherwise, we brought sweet potato for backup!
Lentil Taco Lettuce Wraps [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
4 (makes 8 taco wraps)
Ingredients You Need for Lentil Taco Lettuce Wraps [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 Head of Iceberg lettuce or butter lettuce (I used butter lettuce in the pictures)
- 2 cups lentils
- 3/4 onion (1/4 for the lentil water)
- 1 fresh Serrano pepper (take the seeds out if you don't like it too spicy)
- 2 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 chopped sweet potato
- 2 tsp tomato powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 2 tsp of salt (for lentil water)
- 2 tbsp of avocado oil (for sautéing)
- 1 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy yogurt
- 1 avocado
How to Prepare Lentil Taco Lettuce Wraps [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Boil the lentils in 3 cups of water, 2 tsp salt, and 1/4 onion for 45 minutes-1 hr (or boil in vegetable broth). I recommend making the lentils ahead of time or soaking them prior, but it isn't required. I made these in a hurry, so I microwaved for 5 minutes instead. Terrible, I know! But of all the things to microwave, this is probably one of the less delicate foods to microwave.
- Sauté the rest of the onion, serrano pepper and avocado oil in a skillet until onion is translucent in color
- Add the garlic to the skillet
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and add the water as needed
- Sauté for 20 minutes to let the flavors infuse
- Separate the lettuce for each taco
- Fill each taco with lentils and toppings
Crunchy topping adapted from Detoxinista.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 408 | Carbs: 60 g | Fat: 17 g | Protein: 24 g | Sodium: 1120 mg | Sugar: 7 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.