What’s fab about these cookies, is everything! It’s your staple vegan lemon sugar cookie recipe, slightly soft and chewy texture, packed with lemon flavor, has notes of basil that keep you on your toes, aesthetic appeal, perf for spring, perf for entertaining, and is just such a fun concept!!
Lemon Basil Sugar Cookies [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4-6 basil leaves (about 2 tablespoons when finely chopped)
- 3/4 cup cane sugar, additional for rolling
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegan egg replacer powder
- 1/2 cup almond milk, room temp
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silpats. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the chopped basil.
- Combine vegan egg with almond milk. Whisk to remove any clumps.
- Add the vegan egg, lemon and vanilla extract. Combine.
- Now add flour mixture in 2 increments, combining between each.
- Roll two heaping tablespoons of dough into a ball. Roll in sugar, optional.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 10 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.