In a rush for time and having people coming over during the festive season? You want to serve something that is homemade and elegant? These savory tarts are not only good looking but also easy to make if you use store-bought puff pastry dough. Plus, they are absolutely scrumptious!
Leek Tarts [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup vegan yogurt
- 1 vegan egg (mix 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds with 3 tablespoons water)
- 2 tablespoons vegan parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dill weed, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups leeks with green stems, sliced in two parts lengthwise and sliced fine crosswise
- 1 medium-size russet potato, peeled and grated (makes 1 cup grated potato)
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 puff pastry roll-out dough, store-bought or homemade
- Preheat oven to 430ºF.
- One or two muffin pans lightly greased with olive oil.
- In a big bowl, whisk together the yogurt, egg, parmesan and dill weed.
- In a skillet on stove-top, heat up the olive oil. Lower heat and add the leeks and potatoes. Sauté continuously for 5 minutes until the leeks and potatoes are soft. Transfer to the yoghurt mixture and mix with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Place in refrigerator.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a hard surface keeping the parchment paper underneath. With a rolling pin, lightly roll out the dough 2 or 3 times, just enough to thin it out a little.
- With the rim of a glass or jar, make impressions in the dough that are similar in size to the molds in the muffin pan(s) you are using. Cut a square around each impression. Arrange and gently press the dough squares into each muffin mold keeping the parchment paper underneath. Fill the dough with spoonfuls of leek mixture.
- Bake on middle rack for 20-22 minutes and enjoy!