Breakfast hashes make for a filling breakfast, but they’re often served with eggs. For a plant-based alternative, you can use tempeh, which not only provides a good source of protein, but also helps make the dish heartier. And, if you’re short on time, you can always microwave the sweet potato instead of baking it, which will cut down your cooking time by about 15 minutes.
Kale, Sweet Potato and Tempeh Breakfast Hash [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Kale, Sweet Potato and Tempeh Breakfast Hash [Vegan]
- 1 medium unpeeled sweet potato, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1/2 cup crumbled organic tempeh
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
How to Prepare Kale, Sweet Potato and Tempeh Breakfast Hash [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a 10-inch × 15-inch baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Add potatoes and 1 tablespoon oil to a small bowl; toss until evenly coated. Spread potatoes on the prepared baking sheet and bake 20 minutes until potatoes are soft but crispy on the outside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring so garlic doesn’t burn. Add onions and sauté 3 minutes. Add kale and sauté 2 minutes or until it begins to wilt. Add tempeh and cook 1 more minute.
- Add sweet potatoes to skillet along with vinegar, paprika, cayenne pepper, and yeast. Cook about 1–2 minutes, stirring constantly until well mixed and heated through. Top with black pepper and serve warm.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Nutritional Yeast / Nooch
- Potato Recipes
- Sweet Potato
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 180 | Carbs: 16g | Fat: 9g | Protein: 8g | Sodium: 37mg | Sugar: 3gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.