Fresh ginger helps calm a troubled tummy, while sesame seeds and tahini provide great levels of copper and magnesium. Plus, kale is super-rich in antioxidant vitamins K, A, and C and has been shown to reduce both cholesterol levels and fight cancer. So, let's eat!
Kale Salad With Creamy Ginger Tahini Dressing [Vegan]
For the Kale Salad:
- Single large bunch of kale
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- Half of a medium purple onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, for sprinkling
For the Ginger Tahini Dressing:
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 small clove of garlic
To Make the Kale Salad:
- Cut the kale leaves from the thick stems.
- Toss the stems in the compost, and cut leaves into bite-sized pieces.
- Wash the leaves in a colander under cool water, using hands to squeeze and massage the leaves, slightly softening them, about 30 seconds. (This makes the tough kale leaves much easier and more enjoyable to eat!)
- Let kale air dry while you prepare the rest of the salad. Rinse carrot, cut off ends, julienne. Set aside.
- Remove skin from onion, cut in half, and dice into small pieces.
- Place kale (doesn't need to be completely dried), julienned carrots, & diced onions in a bowl. Use tongs or two wooden spoons to toss together.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Sesame seeds will be added after dressing.
To Make the Ginger Tahini Dressing:
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor. Once well mixed, pour into a covered glass jar (for storing easily in the fridge). Makes just over a cup's worth of dressing, so you'll have leftovers.
- Pour dressing (as much or as little as you'd like- but start light) onto the kale salad, and toss with the tongs until everything is evenly coated. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.