Minestrone soup can easily be veganized. It’s hearty, wholesome, and can feed a crowd on a budget.
Italian Minestrone [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 courgettes (zucchini), diced
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 big handful kale
- 1 can either broad (fava) beans, cannellini beans, or white kidney beans
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 can chopped tinned tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook for 5 minutes and add the oregano.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the courgette, potatoes, kale, beans, and peas.
- Add the can of tomatoes with all their juice.
- Add the water and bring to the boil.
- Add the vegetable stock cube and turn the mixture down to a simmer.
- Simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.