If you are a vegan that misses the taste of chicken nuggets then you will love these homemade vegan chicken nuggets. They are made with wholesome ingredients, and they taste great! These homemade vegan chicken nuggets do take a while to make. This recipe makes a lot of chicken nuggets though, so you can make it once, and then store them in the freezer for months.
Homemade Vegan Chicken Nuggets [Vegan]
- 1 pound regular or medium tofu do not use silken, firm, or extra firm
- 2 cups water divided
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast divided
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 5 teaspoons garlic powder divided
- 4 teaspoons poultry seasoning divided
- 3 teaspoons sea salt divided
- 2 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 6 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons sriracha or another type of hot sauce
- 2 cups bread crumbs or panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chili powder divided
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Put the tofu, 1 cup of water, 5 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, 4 teaspoons garlic powder, 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning, and 2 teaspoons sea salt in a food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add the vital wheat gluten to the food processor and continue to mix until a ball forms in the center.
- You can either roll out the ball into a few different logs and slice each log into one-inch slices or you can keep it is ball form and make one-inch nuggets as you go.
- Next, create a three-dip coating station. Each station will have a separate bowl.
- Bowl 1: 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning, 1 teaspoon onion powder, and 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Bowl 2: 6 tablespoons flax seeds, 1 cup of water, and sriracha or another type of hot sauce.
- Bowl 3: bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon chili powder, cayenne, and paprika.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat. Dip each nugget in the flour, then the flaxseed mixture, and finally the bread crumbs. The flaxseed mixture will get thicker the longer it takes you to make the vegan chicken nuggets. You may need to add a little more water to get it to a liquid consistency again near the end.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 350 F. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the nuggets are golden brown.
- The vegan chicken nuggets can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days or in the freezer for a few months.