These nutrient-dense Mexican goodies will give you something to smile about! Lots of flavor, crunchy on the outside, warm and tasty on the inside… a delightful and healthy lunch!
High-Protein Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadillas [Vegan]
- 8 whole grain tortillas
- 1 can salt-free black beans, drained
- 1 baked sweet potato
- 3-4 green onions or a small red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup vegan cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon tamari or other low sodium soy sauce (optional)
- 2 avocados
- Small amount of cold pressed vegetable oil for the pan
- Bake the sweet potato ahead of time so it’s cool enough to work with.
- Place the drained beans into a mixing bowl and mash the beans a little with a fork.
- Cut the sweet potato into chunks and add it to the beans, along with the cumin, chili powder and tamari. Stir everything gently to combine.
- Warm a skillet or sauté pan and wipe a small amount of oil to prevent sticking. I usually will put about 1/4 of a teaspoon and wipe with a paper towel. This creates a very thin layer of oil and an instant non-stick pan (I don’t use teflon).
- Place one tortilla in the pan and top it with 1/4 of the bean mixture, spreading it out to about 1 inch from the edges.
- Add the onion and a small amount of the vegan cheese.
- Cover with another tortilla and press down lightly.
- Cook until the tortilla is golden brown, then flip and again cook until golden brown. I did mine one at a time in a small pan and just kept them warm in the oven while I made the rest.
- Cut into quarters and serve warm with sliced avocado and/or salsa for dipping.