Valentine's day is just around the corner! I hope you're enjoying whatever plans you've made for the day and eat lots of yummy treats in the coming days! Today, we are making some seriously sweet, awesomely indulgent, surprisingly not TOO bad for you treats for you to share with your valentine, Almond Butter Cups! Think 'Reese's PB Cups' but made with real ingredients. This recipe makes about 3 large chocolates each, if you are using a cupcake mold like I did.
Heart-Shaped Almond Butter Cups [Vegan]
- 4 tablespoons liquid coconut oil 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup carob or cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Combine melted coconut oil, agave nectar, and vanilla in a bowl. Add carob (or cocoa) powder and mix very well, until mixture reaches a uniform consistency. It gets kind of
- hard to stir since there's no heat involved, but push through, its worth it!
- Melt the coconut oil and combine it with almond butter. Mix well.
- Add the powdered sugar in two parts, stirring well after each and trying to remove any lumps that may have gathered.
- Fill bottom and sides of candy molds with chocolate using a butter knife (the texture will be pretty thick). I used silicone cupcake molds for bigger chocolates, but you could really use any size as long as you have enough room in the molds for the almond butter filling as well.
- Once molds have been coated in chocolate mixture (about a 1/8-1/4 inch thick), pour in heaping teaspoons of the almond butter mixture until the molds are almost all the way full.
- Use remaining chocolate mixture to top almond butter mixture and seal the molds.
- Freeze for one hour to set, then enjoy!