This chocolate cake will melt in your mouth! Wholesomely decadent and not too sweet, this chocolate cake is simple to make and good for you. Naturally sweetened with two ripe bananas, a bit of maple syrup, and two tablespoons of granulated sugar cane, this cake is great for an afternoon snack.
Healthy, Moist & Melt-In-Your-Mouth Chocolate Cake [Vegan]
- 1 1/3 cups white spelt flour, measured then sifted
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons 100% cacao powder, measured then sifted
- 2 tbsps brown Mascobado granulated sugar cane,* see note
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- about 1/2 cup 70% dark chocolate, chopped in small chunks
- 2 ripe & spotted bananas, hand-mashed until creamy (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup natural, unflavored soy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla or seeds scraped from one vanilla pod
- 1/4 cup 100% maple syrup
- 1/3 cup light tasting oil (e.g. canola, grapeseed or vegetable)
- 1/3 cup aquafaba from 1 jar/can of chickpeas
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Measure the flour and cacao powder and sift these into a large bowl. Add the brown Mascobado sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Hand mix with a whisk until combined. Add the chopped dark chocolate chunks and hand mix again. Set this aside.
- Whip the aquafaba with electric beaters for a few minutes, until foamy but not stiff like meringue.
- In a separate medium-size bowl, mash and hand whisk the bananas until creamy. Add the yogurt and vanilla and hand whisk until the mixture is smooth. Add the maple syrup and oil and hand whisk again for a minute or so until blended. Add the whipped aquafaba and hand whisk again for a few more minutes until completely incorporated.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and hand mix gently with a silicone spatula until the ingredients are completely incorporated.
- Transfer to a 10 X 5-inch loaf pan and bake in preheated oven on middle rack for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick test comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Detach and loosen the sides of the cake using the blade of a thin dull knife and reverse the cake onto the rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy as-is or with fresh cream or ice cream of choice and fruit. Keeps well for several days in a sealed container in a dry place or in the refrigerator.