These cupcakes are moist and chocolatey with flaky bits of coconut and a touch of hazelnut. The fluffy buttercream frosting has a deep coffee flavor that's enhanced by the taste of hazelnut.
Hazelnut Coconut Cupcakes With Rich Coffee Frosting [Vegan]
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup hazelnut liquor
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Frangelico liquor
- 1 3/4 teaspoon coffee extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl, beat together hazelnut liquor, coconut milk, sugar, and vanilla with a hand mixer. Mix in melted coconut oil.
- Add the flour mixture in batches, beating well after each addition. Mix until smooth, then stir in shredded coconut.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
- Using a hand mixer, beat earth balance with hazelnut liquor, coffee extract, and vanilla extract.
- Add the powdered sugar in batches, beating well after each addition.
- When all the powdered sugar is incorporated, beat on high speed for an additional 5 minutes.