Oh boy potatoes are just so versatile and delicious. This hash brown omelet is super filling and delicious. You will adore it!
Hash Brown Omelet [Vegan]
- 1 medium potato
- 1/4 of a red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, parsley or chives
- Olive oil for the pan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegan cheese shreds (optional) or any other fillings you might like
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 pinches of kala namak salt or Indian black salt (optional but delicious)
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- Peel and grate the potato with the thick side of a grater, and squeeze as much water as you can from it with your hands. Place it in a bowl and warm it in the microwave at 30 second increments, stirring in between, doing this 2 or 3 times in total. This will dry out your potato even more and pre cook it so it comes out of the pan perfectly crispy but also cooked through.
- Heat a non-stick pan at medium-high heat and add olive oil to coat.
- Spread the grated potato across the pan so that all the pieces are touching and can stick together, but so that most of them are also in contact with the pan.
- Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper and the diced bell pepper.
- Once the potatoes are golden on the bottom, flip them and brown them on the second side.
- In the meantime, whisk together all the ingredients for your batter.
- Once the potatoes are golden on both sides, pour the batter on top and sprinkle with the fresh herbs.
- Add the vegan cheese shreds (or other fillings) over half of the omelet, and once you see that the batter has set and it’s golden on the bottom, flip the empty half over towards the half that has your fillings. Let the cheese melt slightly and serve topped with some extra fresh herbs if desired and some freshly ground pepper. Enjoy!