These zucchini sandwiches are smoky, zesty, and loaded with garden-fresh veggies. The vegan spinach pesto is a must.
Grilled Zucchini Sandwiches with Spinach Pesto [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Grilled Zucchini Sandwiches with Spinach Pesto [Vegan]
For the Sandwich:
- 1 medium zucchini
- 3 small red peppers
- 2 pickled beets
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup avocado oil (or oil of choice)
- 2 bagels
- sprouts to top
For the Vegan Spinach Pesto:
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup oil (avocado or olive oil)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- handful of basil (roughly 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- sea salt to taste
How to Prepare Grilled Zucchini Sandwiches with Spinach Pesto [Vegan]
- If you are preparing your own pickled beets, follow the instructions from Belly Full's sites (see notes for link). The time to make the pickled beets is not included in the recipe breakdown.
- Slice the zucchini into round coins, and slice the peppers in half removing any seeds. Add the balsamic and oil together and then pour over the zucchini and peppers in a container. Toss the veggies and let them marinate for at least 1 hour. Toss them occasionally.
- Once the veggies have marinated, heat up the barbeque on medium-high. Add the veggies onto the grill, spaced out nicely. Watch them closely and after 5-10 minutes. (depending on the grill) flip them over. They should be nice and toasted on the one side. Do the same for the other side then remove them from the grill.
- Prepare the vegan spinach pesto. Add all the ingredients to a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- This pesto should be on the thicker side as it is used as the spread for the sandwiches. But if it is too thick add a little bit of water at a time.
- Prepare the sandwiches. You can toast the bagels if desired. Then add pesto to the top and bottom of the bagels. Add the grilled zucchini and peppers to the sandwiches. Top with the pickled beets, and sprouts.
- Best enjoyed fresh. If there are leftover veggies and pesto, store in sealed containers in the fridge for a few days.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.