Kick off grill season with these tofu steaks! They're grilled until browned on both sides and then brushed with a sticky, citrusy, and spicy orange-ginger glaze — the perfect combination of flavors to welcome outdoor weather. Serve on a bed of grains with grilled vegetables and your favorite barbecue sides.
Grilled Tofu Steaks With Orange Ginger Glaze [Vegan]
For the Tofu:
- 1 14-ounce block tofu
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice or juice from one navel orange
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Sesame seeds (optional, for garnish)
- Baby bok choy (optional, for serving)
- Cooked quinoa (optional, for serving)
To Make the Glaze:
- Combine orange juice, soy sauce/coconut aminos, ginger, orange zest, sugar, and cayenne in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until a glaze consistency is reached.
To Make the Tofu:
- Drain the tofu block and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper napkins. Cut into six equal-sized portions. Cook tofu on a hot grill or grill pan for a few minutes on each side and then brush on glaze.
- Serve with grilled vegetables, quinoa, rice, or noodles, garnish with sesame seeds, and serve.