Have you tried arepas? They're a patty made from ground corn that, depending on the region, is frequently stuffed with meat, cheese, or veggies. They're also incredibly easy to make. Just prepare the dough, add your filling of choice, then grill! These arepas pack a punch thanks to spicy jalapeño. Serve with a salad on the side and enjoy.
Grilled Jalapeño Arepas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups masarepa (see notes)
- 3 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Jalapeños, to taste
- Cashew mozzarella or any vegan cheese, to stuff
- Take 2 cups of masarepa and mix it with 3 ci[s of warm water and 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Allow the mixture to rehydrate for 5 minutes, then shape into 4-5-inch diameter pucks.
- Prior to shaping, add sliced jalapeños (depending on how spicy you like it) and cashew mozzarella.
- Grill them on medium (around 350°F) for about 7 minutes per side. Serve with hot sauce.
Don't confuse with masa harina. Masarepa is precooked and then dried. Check your local Latin grocery store for masarepa.