This Green Chickpea and Avocado Bhel, Tamarind Chutney, and Puffed Black Rice makes for a perfectly delicious appetizer or snack. Full of flavor, satisfying and simply delightful!
Green Chickpea and Avocado Bhel, Tamarind Chutney, and Puffed Black Rice [Vegan]
Chickpea Bhel (serves 5):
- 3 ounces Boiled potatoes
- 3 ounces. Green Apple
- 3 ounces. Green Mango
- 8 ounces Green Chickpea (shelled)
- 2 ounces Shallot
- 2 ounces Coriander
- 1 Large Indian Green Chilli
- 1 Teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 2 ounces Baby radish
- 1/4 cup Puffed black rice
- 2 ounces Nylon Sev
- 1 Large avocado
- 1 Lemon (Juice)
- 1 1/2 ounce Tamarind Chutney
- Baby Cilantro for garnish
Puffed Black Rice (makes 3/4 cup):
- 2 cups of canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup raw california black rice
- Salt to season
Tamarind Chutney (serves 10):
- 1/2 cup Jaggery
- 1 cup Tamarind Pulp
- 2 teaspoon Dry ginger root
- 4 tablespoons Red chili powder
- 2 ounces whole Cumin (roasted)
- 1 Cup water
- Wash and dry green chickpeas.
- Separate coriander top and stem, chop separately then set aside.
- Peel and finely chop shallot.
- Thinly slice the baby radish with a mandolin and store in ice cold water.
- Juice lemon into a small bowl and set aside.
- Peel and dice avocado, Boiled Potato, Green apple and green mango.
- Deseed and finely chop the green chili.
- Boil potatoes for 15 minutes until tender. Let it cool down, then peel and set aside in chiller for later use.
- Next make Puffed Black Rice:
Puffed Black Rice:
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat until it is 350°F (or test the oil by dropping a few grains into the pan; the rice should sizzle immediately and quickly rise to the surface).
- Add the black rice to the pan.
- Cook until the rice is crispy, some grains start to puff and you can see a bit of white inside the grains, 15 to 30 seconds.
- Use a frying spider or slotted spoon to transfer the rice to a paper-towel-lined rimmed sheet pan.
- Sprinkle salt to season the puffed rice.
- Boil water in a pot.
- Add Tamarind Pulp, sugar and let boil for 10 minutes.
- Add rest of spices and boil for another 5 to 7 minutes on low heat.
- Pass it through a fine strainer and store in a container to cool.
- In a medium bowl mix gren chickpea, boiled potatoes, shallot, coriander stem, Chopped green Chili, Chaat Masala, avocado and lemon juice.
- Spread the chickpea bhel mixture on a deep plate.
- Next layer with 1 teaspoon of Imli Chutney
- Sprinkle Nylon Sev and Puffed Black Rice.
- Garnish with cilantro cress and thinly sliced baby radish.