This Green Chickpea and Avocado Bhel, Tamarind Chutney, and Puffed Black Rice makes for a perfectly delicious appetizer or snack. Full of flavor, satisfying and simply delightful!
Green Chickpea and Avocado Bhel, Tamarind Chutney, and Puffed Black Rice [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Green Chickpea and Avocado Bhel, Tamarind Chutney, and Puffed Black Rice [Vegan]
Chickpea Bhel (serves 5):
- 3 ounces Boiled potatoes
- 3 ounces. Green Apple
- 3 ounces. Green Mango
- 8 ounces Green Chickpea (shelled)
- 2 ounces Shallot
- 2 ounces Coriander
- 1 Large Indian Green Chilli
- 1 Teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 2 ounces Baby radish
- 1/4 cup Puffed black rice
- 2 ounces Nylon Sev
- 1 Large avocado
- 1 Lemon (Juice)
- 1 1/2 ounce Tamarind Chutney
- Baby Cilantro for garnish
Puffed Black Rice (makes 3/4 cup):
- 2 cups of canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup raw california black rice
- Salt to season
Tamarind Chutney (serves 10):
- 1/2 cup Jaggery
- 1 cup Tamarind Pulp
- 2 teaspoon Dry ginger root
- 4 tablespoons Red chili powder
- 2 ounces whole Cumin (roasted)
- 1 Cup water
How to Prepare Green Chickpea and Avocado Bhel, Tamarind Chutney, and Puffed Black Rice [Vegan]
- Wash and dry green chickpeas.
- Separate coriander top and stem, chop separately then set aside.
- Peel and finely chop shallot.
- Thinly slice the baby radish with a mandolin and store in ice cold water.
- Juice lemon into a small bowl and set aside.
- Peel and dice avocado, Boiled Potato, Green apple and green mango.
- Deseed and finely chop the green chili.
- Boil potatoes for 15 minutes until tender. Let it cool down, then peel and set aside in chiller for later use.
- Next make Puffed Black Rice:
Puffed Black Rice:
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat until it is 350°F (or test the oil by dropping a few grains into the pan; the rice should sizzle immediately and quickly rise to the surface).
- Add the black rice to the pan.
- Cook until the rice is crispy, some grains start to puff and you can see a bit of white inside the grains, 15 to 30 seconds.
- Use a frying spider or slotted spoon to transfer the rice to a paper-towel-lined rimmed sheet pan.
- Sprinkle salt to season the puffed rice.
- Boil water in a pot.
- Add Tamarind Pulp, sugar and let boil for 10 minutes.
- Add rest of spices and boil for another 5 to 7 minutes on low heat.
- Pass it through a fine strainer and store in a container to cool.
- In a medium bowl mix gren chickpea, boiled potatoes, shallot, coriander stem, Chopped green Chili, Chaat Masala, avocado and lemon juice.
- Spread the chickpea bhel mixture on a deep plate.
- Next layer with 1 teaspoon of Imli Chutney
- Sprinkle Nylon Sev and Puffed Black Rice.
- Garnish with cilantro cress and thinly sliced baby radish.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.