I brought this dish to my mom’s very first vegetarian Thanksgiving and received the ultimate compliment from my little brother: “I didn’t like green beans until I had this pizza.” You can prepare the topping and crust ahead of time - but wait to assemble them until guests arrive or until you’re at your final cooking destination.
Green Bean Casserole Pizza [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Green Bean Casserole Pizza [Vegan]
- 1 pre-made pizza crust
- 2 tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 pound White Button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened dairy-free yogurt
- 3/4 cups fried onion pieces, plus more for topping
How to Prepare Green Bean Casserole Pizza [Vegan]
- Pre-cook crust in a 450°F oven for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Bring a gallon of water and 2 tablespoons of salt to boil. Add the beans and cook for 5 minutes, then drain and plunge into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the margarine in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper, and cook until the mushrooms start to give up some liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and nutmeg and cook 1-2 more minutes. Add flour and stir. Cook for 1 minute, then add the vegetable stock and cook until bubbling.
- Decrease the heat to medium-low and add the soy yogurt. Cook until the mixture thickens, occasionally stirring, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 cup of fried onions and the green beans. Spread over prepared pizza crust and bake 10-15 minutes until crust is golden and toppings are hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with more fried onions to taste.
If you don't have plain, unsweetened soy yogurt, pulse 1 cup (8 ounces) of silken tofu together with 1 1/2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice in a food processor.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.