Any variety of ripe seasonal fruit can be used to make a delicious cobbler. When paired with subtle ginger, berries, apples and pears work particularly well in this recipe.
Fruit Cobbler [Vegan]
For the Cobbler:
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup almond or soymilk
- 2 cups unsweetened fruit (sliced) or berries
- 1 tablespoon granulated cane sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the butter into an 8-inch square or 9-inch round pan and place in the oven to melt.
- Watch carefully so that the butter does not burn. Whisk, measure and sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger and salt together into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the milk to the dry ingredients; stirring until just incorporated. Pour the batter into the pan with the melted butter. Do not stir.
- Arrange the fruit over batter. Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar. Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for about 40 to 50 minutes or until the batter is cooked through and brown. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm with ice cream or any complimentary non-dairy cream or sauce.