Raspberries, avocados, blueberries, and saffron lend their colors and flavors to this show-stopping ice cream cake. The pastels make it look like something out of a fairytale! As if this cake wasn't amazing enough, it's topped with coconut-crusted vanilla bliss balls – mega yum!
Four Layer Raw Rainbow Ice Cream Cake [Vegan]
For the Base:
- 1 cup fresh Medjool dates, pitted (about 20 dates)
- 2 cups almonds
- A pinch of sea salt
- 8 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight or for at least 4 hours
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups melted coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups coconut cream, thickened part only — from chilled canned coconut milk
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla powder or 2 vanilla beans, seeds scraped
For the First Layer:
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
For the Second Layer:
- 10 grams matcha (green tea) powder OR 2 ripe avocados, pit removed, flesh scooped out
For the Third Layer:
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
For the Fourth Layer:
- 2 teaspoons saffron threads (soaked in 1/2 cup extra coconut milk) or saffron powder
For the Vanilla Bliss Balls:
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup fresh Medjool dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
To Make the Base:
- Line a spring-form cake pan with baking paper
- Using a high-powered food processor, pulse almonds into almond meal, remove and set aside. Then pulse dates until sticky and smooth, add back in the almond meal and pinch of salt and pulse until the mixture comes together and you can roll it into a smooth ball. Add extra dates if it's too dry, or nuts if the mix is too wet. Press firmly into the base of your cake pan and store in the fridge.
- Ensure that your cashews have been soaking for at least 4, but ideally 8 hours or overnight, drain them and add to your food processor. Depending on the size of your food processor, you might have to do this in two batches.
- Add lemon juice, coconut oil, coconut cream, maple syrup, vanilla bean, and a pinch of salt to the processor and blitz on high until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if needed. Divide this mixture into four batches.
To Make the First Layer:
- Return your creamy cashew mix back to the food processor, add in your frozen raspberries and pulse until smooth and pink. You can choose to add more raspberries if you’d like a more vibrant color. Pour the mix into your prepared cake tin and set in the freezer.
To Make the Second Layer:
- To make the second layer, repeat the above process but use matcha powder or avocados. Once the raspberry layer is firm, you can add the second layer.
To Make the Third Layer:
- To make the third layer, repeat the above process but use frozen blueberries. Once the green layer is firm, you can add the third layer.
To Make the Fourth Layer:
- To make the fourth layer, you will need to steep the saffron threads (if using) into warm coconut milk — just use the excess you will have after scooping the thickened part of the coconut cream out of the can. Allow to steep for 15 minutes before adding to the cashew mixture. Alternatively, you could use saffron powder. Repeat the same process as above and once the blueberry layer is firm you can add the last layer.
To Make the Vanilla Bliss Balls:
- For the world’s simplest bliss balls, pulse together dates, almond meal, vanilla, and salt, roll into balls and then roll in the desiccated coconut. Keep in the fridge until you are ready to decorate your cake.