Traditional Filipino spring rolls, or Vegetable Lumpiang Shanghai, as they are called, are usually filled with pork. Here, we have kept the essence of the Asian dish but replaced the filling with vegetables! Carrots, sweet potatoes, jicama, and kabocha squash come together in this snack. They're crispy, savory, and best served with a sweet dip like ketchup.
Filipino Fried Spring Rolls [Vegan]
- 1 cup julienne carrots (about 2 carrot sticks)
- 1 cup julienne sweet potatoes
- 1 cup julienne kabocha squash
- 1 cup julienne potatoes
- 1 cup julienne jicama
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of organic sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 12-ounce pack of vegan spring roll wrappers
- A small bowl of water to seal the wrapper
- 3-4 cups canola oil
- In a bowl, combine all vegetables, salt, sugar, and corn starch. Mix well.
- Using a pair of scissors, cut the the wrappers diagonally in half. You should have two sets of triangles. To keep the wrapper from drying, place a clean damp towel on top.
- Peel off one sheet of the wrapper and place on a plate, with base of the triangle on bottom and tip of the triangle pointing to top of the plate.
- Add about one teaspoon of the vegetable filling on the lower center of the wrapper, leaving about 1/4 inch of empty space below the filling.
- Fold the left side of the wrapper toward the center. Fold the right side toward the center. Fold up the bottom part then roll up until it reaches the top tip.
- Seal the top with a little bit of water. Finish rolling. Repeat steps until all are rolled.
- Heat a small size pot in high heat for about 3 minutes.
- Pour cooking oil and heat for another 5 minutes.
- Test if the oil is hot enough by dropping a piece of wrapper. If it bubbles quickly, it's ready.
- Gently drop 5-8 pieces to deep fry. Lower down the heat to medium heat.
- Fry until all sides of the wrapper are golden brown. Repeat step to fry rest of the spring rolls. If you're feeding only few people, fry only the amount you desire and store the rest of the wrapped rolls in the freezer for later use.
- Place fried rolls in colander or on paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil. Serve hot.
Not all spring roll wrappers are vegan. Some have eggs. Double check by reading the ingredients list. You may find wrappers at Asian grocery stores.