Potatoes are filling, versatile, and just plain delicious. Mix up your traditional potato salad with this recipe that features caramelized red onion, fava beans, and green olives. The salad is well-seasoned with za'atar, a Middle Eastern spice blend of thyme, sesame seeds, sumac, and more.
Fava Beans and Za’atar Potato Salad [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1.8 pounds of new potatoes
- 7 ounces of shelled and peeled fava beans
- 15 green olives
- 1 large red onion
- 1 onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Whole salt
- Black pepper
- Finely chop the red onion.
- Warm 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepan and cook the onion over low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring often until they are soft and caramelized.
- Put the new potatoes in a pot, cover them with cold water, add a bit of salt, and bring to the boil. Cook for about 17 minutes or until they are cooked. Drain them and make them cool.
- Toast sesame seeds in a pan without adding any oil and mix in a bowl with the sumac, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and mix everything together well.
- Blanch the peeled beans for 30 seconds in warm salt water, drain, and pass them under cold water.
- Cut the potatoes in halves or quarters (depending on how big they are) and place them in a large salad bowl. Add pitted and coarsely chopped green olives, caramelized onion, beans, finely sliced spring onion, dill, and parsley. Mix together. Season with oil and more za'atar (sumac, thyme, and sesame seeds) and stir well until all the salad is seasoned. Taste and add salt if necessary.