This is one of those easy staples you can just keep in your back pocket and pull out whenever you feel like jazzing things up. It takes all of 3 minutes to throw together and doesn’t use a crazy amount of ingredients.
The Easiest Tempeh Bacon [Vegan]
- 1 8.8-ounces block tempeh
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 5 quick dashes of liquid smoke - optional
- Slice tempeh into thin strips - as thin as you can
- Put paprika and garlic powder in a small bowl. Slowly add in tamari, stirring as you pour to smooth out any lumping. Stir in the rest of the marinade ingredients.
- Lay tempeh slices in a very shallow dish or plastic container. If you need to make multiple layers, pour marinade over each layer before adding the next. Let tempeh sit in the marinade for at least 2 hours. You can even let it continue marinading for 24 - 48 hours in the fridge.
- When ready to serve, heat a touch of oil in frying pan, add tempeh slices and cook, flipping, until brown on both sides (3-5 minutes each side). Transfer tempeh to a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Alternatively, you may bake these in an oven. Preheat to 350F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake until starting to crisp - about 15 minutes.
I LOVE liquid smoke. It's one of my favorite condiments to have in the kitchen. But I totally recognize most people do not have it, so I've made it completely optional in this case. It adds a bit of extra smoke, but you will be more than fine with the paprika. Just make sure it's fresh so the flavor is still pronounce. If using the liquid smoke, adjust to taste. You don't need much!