With a moist, tender crumb and an ideal ratio of sweet banana and chocolate flavors, these muffins are a delicious option for breakfast as well as dessert!
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins [Vegan]
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (may be gluten-free)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup coconut or cane sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 flax egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 9 standard muffin cups with muffin liners and/or coconut oil spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flours, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mashed banana, sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir just until well combined (don't over-mix!).
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, and bake 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes, then remove and enjoy!