Do you remember the deviled eggs your mum used to make for every potluck and special occasion? We think you’ll find that this vegan deviled egg filling made with chickpeas is a delicious and very acceptable alternative.
Deviled Egg Filling [Vegan]
Deviled egg filling
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 avocado, mashed
- 6 teaspoons savory nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh mustard or 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Pinch cumin
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 20 small tomatoes, halved and seeds removed (optional)
- 6 stalks chives or 1 stalk spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet red paprika
- Crush the chickpeas roughly with a strong fork or a potato masher.
- Add the avocado, yeast and lemon juice and continue mashing until smooth.
- Add the mustard, curry powder and cumin and mix thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into tomato halves.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives or spring onion, and then paprika.
- Serve immediately.
- Store unused mix in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.