These healthy, gluten-free vegan cauliflower tacos explode with crunchy texture and flavor. Not only are these tacos healthy, they are also delicious! You get a deep-fried texture without the oil and fat. The sweet mustard sauce can be smeared onto your tortilla, and then you can stuff them with any of your favorite taco ingredients, like crispy red cabbage for crunch, jalapeños, and salsa.
Crispy Coconut Cauliflower Tacos with Sweet Mustard Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons organic cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup of unflavored, unsweetened plant milk (this recipe used unflavored almond)
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (for gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- Light Sprinkling of cayenne pepper (optional - adds heat) about 1/8 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tortillas
- Optional toppings - sliced avocado, sliced jalapeno peppers, shredded red cabbage & salsa
Sweet mustard sauce:
- 1/8 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/8 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the plant milk, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl whisk together the breadcrumbs, shredded coconut, paprika, cumin, turmeric, salt, cayenne if using and some fresh ground black pepper.
- Take a cauliflower floret and place it in the plant milk mixture, flipping it over to make sure all sides are covered.
- Next, place that piece of cauliflower in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing it down and flipping it over to make sure it's coated evenly on both sides.
- Transfer the breaded piece of cauliflower to the lined baking sheet. Repeat with all remaining florets of cauliflower.
- Bake the breaded cauliflower for approximately 30 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy. Keep an eye on them the last ten minutes so they don't burn.
- Serve on a warm tortilla smeared with sweet mustard sauce. Toppings can include avocado, purple cabbage, sliced jalapeño and salsa.
- For the Sweet Mustard Sauce, whisk together all the ingredients.
Keep a close eye on them for the last ten minutes of baking, so they don't burn.