Great as an appetizer at a party or as a lunch you can grab on the go, these creamy mushroom hand pies are absolutely delicious. A creamy, garlicky mushroom filling is sealed within a flaky puff pastry pie crust. The best thing about these little hand pies, other than their portability, is that once you perfect the art of making them you can try them with different types of fillings like tofu scramble for breakfast or fruit for dessert.
Creamy Mushroom Hand Pies [Vegan]
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Slice the onions and add to the skillet. Mince the garlic and add to the skillet. Roughly chop mushrooms and add to the skillet.
- Cook until mushrooms and onions have caramelized.
- Add maple syrup to help with caramelizing. Add balsamic to deglaze. Mix well.
- Add herbs, salt, and pepper to taste. Pour in the cream and reduce heat. Let simmer for a few minutes until it thickens.
- Take off the heat and leave to cool a bit before assembling.Preheat
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll out the puff pastry.
- Cut out 12 circles with a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass.
- Place about a tablespoon of the creamy mushrooms on six pastry rounds. Place a pastry round on top of the mushrooms. Press the edges down with a fork to close the pie. Make small cuts on top to allow steam to escape during baking. Optionally Brush the tops with non-dairy cream.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown on top.