This soup has all the goodness of mashed potatoes, with a hint of melty, tangy cheddar cheesiness! Oh yeah. This will warm you right up on a cold winter's day! Plus, it's a great way to use up any leftover mashed potatoes that might need a little extra love.
Creamy Mashed Potato Soup With Melty ‘Cheddah’ Cheeze Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- Half a medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups cooked, peeled potatoes (made with about 2 1/2 pounds potatoes –I prefer yellow – microwaved, steamed or baked), mashed with 1 cup (approximately) soy milk or other plant-based milk and salt to taste
- 1 cup water (OR use 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup beer)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon white flour (another option would be 1/4 cup very finely ground oat flour instead of the starch and white flour)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 4 cups vegan "chicken-y" broth
- 1 cup unsweetened vegan creamer OR 1/2 cup each plant-based milk blended with 1/2 cup extra-firm silken tofu (or medium firm regular tofu)
- Vegan "bacon bits"
- Smoked paprika
- Chopped green onions (green parts only)
- Sauté the chopped onion and minced garlic in the two oils over medium heat until soft OR microwave them with the oils in a microwave-safe pie plate or bowl with lid for about 4 minutes.
- Mash the cooked potatoes with the soy or other milk.
- In a blender, mix all of the Cheeze Sauce ingredients except the tahini until smooth. Microwave in a 1-2 quart microwave-safe batter bowl or measuring pitcher on High for 2 minutes; whisk; microwave for 2 minutes again and whisk. Or, pour the blended mixture into a medium saucepan and stir constantly over medium heat until the mixture thickens.
- Let bubble for 30 seconds, whisking vigorously. Remove from heat.
- Stir the tahini into the sauce.
- Mix the sauce in a large pot with the sautéed onions and garlic, the mashed potatoes, the creamer and the broth. Use an immersion blender right in the pot to make it smooth. (Otherwise, you will have to blend the mixture together in a regular blender in two batches and return it to the pot.)
- Bring to a simmer, turn down and simmer, partially covered for about 10 minutes. Add more vegan creamer or plant-based milk if it's too thick for your taste.
- Serves hot with plenty of vegan "bacon bits" on top and a sprinkle of smoked paprika and green onions.