This muffin is timeless! Tart cranberries and fresh lemon juice and zest create a breakfast that can be enjoyed all year round. Spread some non-dairy butter on top and enjoy.
Cranberry Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins [Vegan]
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax with 3 tablespoons water)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Mix together the ground flax seed and water and set aside. This will form the 'flax egg' while the other ingredients are prepared.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line and grease a muffin tin and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together with a hand mixer the coconut oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, flax egg, juice and zest of lemons, and milk. Beat until combined and creamy. The batter will be a bit runny.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture in three parts until batter starts to come together and no flour streaks remain. Fold in the poppy seeds and cranberries until just incorporated. Set aside and prepare the topping.
- To make the topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and coconut oil together with your hands, breaking up the coconut oil until small pieces are made and it takes on a streusel texture.
- Scoop muffin batter into the tins with a 1/4 cup scoop, making sure the batter comes just about 2/3 of the way up the cups. Top each with 1 tablespoon (or more) of the streusel topping. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly touched.