This tasty, healthy and quick to make salad is perfect for lunches, as a side or on the buffet table. It packs such a wonderful hit of flavor, the mango really makes the world of difference so for those who are not keen on mango, don’t skip it! It just isn’t the same without.
Coronation Potato Salad [Vegan]
- 2 1/4 pounds potatoes
- 5 2/3 ounces cashews (soaked in water overnight)
- 1 ripe mango – finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- A handful of coriander – chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 ounce flaked almonds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of tamari
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup of water
- 5 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
- 3 ounces raisins
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of garam masala
- Salt and pepper
- shredded red and white cabbage, carrot, peppers and tomatoes
- Wash and chop your potatoes (leaving the skin on) into bite-size chunks. Place them into a pan of salted, boiling water and simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until cooked through. Be sure not to overcook at this point as the salad does not work quite as well if the spuds are mushy. Drain your potatoes and leave to cool.
- Add the chopped coriander, chopped mango, raisins, almonds and 2 1/2 tablespoons of the desiccated coconut with the cold potatoes to a large mixing bow.
- Using a good, high speed blender (strong enough to effectively blitz the cashews) blend the drained cashews along with the water, spices, Tamari, lemon juice, the remaining desiccated coconut and seasoning until completely smooth. This may take a little while. I blend for approximately one minute, then scrape down the sides and blend again for another minute.
- Pour the sauce into the mixing bowl and stir through. Your salad is now ready to serve.
- This salad stores really well in the fridge for up to three days.