When I was younger, my mom made a cucumber salad with a creamy dressing made with sour cream, vinegar and dill plus a little honey to sweeten. I think this must be a classic that most people's mothers or grandmothers made, because most people you ask can relate to it. But, these classic versions of course contain dairy and often times lots of sugar. I haven't enjoyed any in ages. Which was exactly what I was thinking last week as I made some at work. I decided that I needed to make a veganized version to suit my tastes.
Cool Cucumber Salad [Vegan]
For the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons raw cashew butter
- 3/4 cup very thick raw coconut milk (or you may use canned if you don't mind it not being raw)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill
- 3 medium cucumbers, seeded and sliced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- For the dressing, whisk all ingredients together until smooth (if you find it too thin add a little more cashew butter, too thick a little water since coconut milk varies in thickness).
- Place the cucumbers and scallions in a bowl, and pour the dressing over. Toss to combine. Serve!
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile