Chocolate and lime aren't a flavor combo you come across often, but this ice cream pie is proof that it should happen more often. A sweet, creamy coconut and lime ice cream pie nestled in a rich, chocolatey almond crust. The flavors balance each other and the result is a cool, creamy, and refreshing summer treat.
Coconut Lime Ice Cream Pie With Chocolate Crust [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Ice Cream Filling:
- 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or any non-dairy milk
- 3/4 cup agave nectar
- Zest from 2 limes (reserve a pinch for garnish)
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons light rum (optional)
For the Crust:
- 1 cup almonds or almond slices
- 12 dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 2 tablespoons cocoa or cacao powder
- 1 tablespoons coconut flour
- To make this ice cream pie, you will need a 7-inch springform pan and an ice cream maker.
- Combine all the ice cream filling ingredients except the salt and rum in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and either transfer to a heat-safe blender or blend in the pan with an immersion blender for about 30 seconds. Stir in the salt and rum if using. Transfer to a storage container and set aside to cool.
- Combine all the crust ingredients in a food processor and pulse until they're a well-combined, sticky rubble. Lightly grease a 7-inch springform pan and press the crust into the bottom. Refrigerate until needed.
- Refrigerate the ice cream mix when it's lukewarm. Let chill 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Churn the ice cream according to your machine's directions. Spread over the crust and freeze until set, 2-3 hours. Store in the freezer.